Video is set to rule social media in 2019, it’s been an upward trend since 2016 and today it’s never been so important. It’s simple, audiences engage better with moving pictures and social platforms reward this. From a personal page right through to the largest brands on the platforms everyone is using video, even Instagram, a channel built to showcase still imagery, has evolved its platform to keep up with this trend.
Here are a handful of pointers to consider when embarking on a content calendar chocked with video:
1. Eight is the magic number – Attention spans are short…..really short. In fact, word on the street is that the average human attention span is circa eight seconds long. What a frightening thought. So in these precious seconds you need to have landed your main take out, your key message, your call to action or at least given them reason to keep on viewing the content that little bit longer.
2. Storytelling is still important – Good news, people are still (for the time being) receptive to linear tales and human emotion. Storytelling is still important when it comes to video so just cobbling together any old rubbish and hoping that your engagement rates improve greatly isn’t going to cut the mustard. The mantra is ‘adding value’. Your content needs to fill the need of your audience; ultimately they need to be entertained.
3. Use ‘Call To Action’ – Let your audience know what you want them to do. Why are they watching your video in the first place? What will they need to do with this information?
4. Subtitles are GOOD – Although attention spans are shortening and people prefer video to the traditionally written posts of 2007 (ahhh, those were the days), people are still able to compute words. Which is a big thumbs up for subtitles AND works wonders when most people view videos on social platforms with no sound. Although it’s not the most aesthetically pleasing approach to content, it’s a necessary alternative (or addition) to a VO.
5. Know your audience – I know you know this, no?! – When it comes down to it, your audience is unique to you. They engage with you for a reason be it clips of cats getting into mischief, how to apply eyeliner or behind the scene footage of a shoot, understand what that reason is and By Jove, give the people what they want.
So now you know what you need to do, I can hear you asking how? HOW? And this is where I say, look no further my friend, look.no.further.
Our team meets the fast-paced, endless appetite for advertising content and takes the pain out of production. Our highly resourced studio has everything you need in-house, a one-stop-shop with dedicated producers, scriptwriters, illustrators, animators and technicians. With our unique ability to plan, create and deliver, all under one roof we can produce animated social content really easily, quickly and cost-effectively. Amazing right? Here’s some social stuff we’ve done to date:
Whether you’re looking for stop-motion or 2D animation, a one-off video content piece or an entire calendar year of content, all you need to do is send us a brief and we can do the rest. Check out our guide on how to write an animation brief which will point you in the right direction. We are here for all your animation needs.